«

»

Rescuing Dying Corals: Acanthastrea, Part II

As I mentioned in part one of the series on rescuing acans, there is an increasing number of dying acans, and it’s most likely due to beginner inexperience rather than a particular pest.  This acan was no different.  It came out of a hobbyist’s tank that had been neglected due to an impending move.  Luckily, corals in poor water conditions usually recover quickly in a mature, well-maintained aquarium.

Acanthastrea, June 9, 2012

Acanthastrea, June 9, 2012

Since the coral just needed a healthy environment, there wasn’t a whole lot I could do.  There was some nuisance algae on it, so I cut those sections off.  I gave the coral a dip in Coral Rx to check for pests just in case.  Within less than a month, the polyps were already expanding out more and growing larger.

Acanthastrea, June 30, 2012

Acanthastrea, June 30, 2012

Within a month, it looked almost like it had never had a problem.  Unfortunately the remaining skeleton kept growing nuisance algae, so I kept having to remove it (white areas in the photo below.)

Acanthastrea, July 7, 2012

Acanthastrea, July 7, 2012

Within only three months the polyps were fully expanding and growing tissue between them.  Around this time I purchased a band saw, so I cut off the part of the disc that kept growing nuisance algae.

Acanthastrea, August 15, 2012

Acanthastrea, August 15, 2012

Not too shabby!  All this coral needed was a bit of TLC and some good water.

Acanthastrea, October 7, 2012

Acanthastrea, October 7, 2012

Leave a Reply